My Garden

Please post your records of interesting plants here
Max

Re: My Garden

Postby Max » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Update: 14.08

While trimming grass next to the potato bag (first time I've tried one, I put three old red spuds in that had gone to seed, if the foliage is owt to go by should be in for lots of spuds, but it doesn't work like that lol) spotted the Self Heal back, don't think I had it last year or it didn't flower. The Foxglove didn't do too well but at least it flowered.

The Welsh Poppy didn't let me down and at one time had 25 flowers on but maybe having that many on at once it didn't flower as long as when it has much fewer flowers on, but did notice other day that I've got lots of young seedlings coming through yippee!

The Fennel is again doing well and must be seven feet high, as yet not had any fresh salmon with it, it's in flower so hoping to get a good crop of seeds for drying and in my stews etc.

Rosebay Willow Herb is and has been flowering but very few insects go on it.

The Rowan is heaving with berries and as yet hasn't been attacked by hoards of Starlings and Blackbirds, and yes I am sure I mentioned I love rowan jelly but I can buy a jar so the berries will be for the birds and who knows maybe the Waxwings if they come to the UK this winter.

The Hawthorn was full of of blossom so hoping for a good crop of berries for the wildlife!

Sadly the Ribes next to rear lounge window got powdery mildew, I won't use pesticides so took all the leaves off and for a while it was okay, but the mildew returned, hoping the winter sees it off. The other plant twenty feet away never got it and looks very healthy, both are planted in same border in very dry soil so not sure.

The Lavender has been full of flowers and some are yet to come out, I took some cuttings last year but all but one died, its doing well next to the Welsh Poppy.

All the cuttings I took of Buddleai have flowered including one and its the first one to not come out same colour as the rest, this one is a light blue. Sadly this year there has been a distinct shortage of butterflies but I've enjoyed the ones that come including the cabbage white (Large White) I say this because I netted my raised bed so it had no chance of attacking my brassica! I finally took down the granddad of my all my Buddleai it was dead and only acted as a support for my bird feeders, now hang them on the Cherry tree.

The Pansies are still going strong in the window boxes and raised bed, the two plants in the raised bed must be two feet across with loads of flowers on each and I've never dead-headed either, never realized the plants grew that big, they've taken up half of the raised bed, along with the strawberry plants, these will be getting moved later, I'd sooner go and buy a punnet though they wouldn't taste as good.

The Hydrangea is just coming into flower, the rain today will help both it and the rest of the garden, its so dry. The Weigelia did well again.

The Burdock although its an unsightly plant it adds height and the prickly blue flowers that stick on your clothing although a nuisance I won't get rid.

A few months ago went for a couple of bags of horse muck one place I went the bags were far too heavy so left them, they were free, went to MSQ entrance where they are 50p a bag but at least they were much lighter ( I have a tendency to pull muscles in my chest or back or crack a rib at moment have pulled one in me chest and I did it coughing, so be careful!) used one bag in the front garden and put it under the privet and elderberry.

Well it's lunch and am well ready.

Good wildlife gardening etc.

Hope whoever reads "my garden" enjoys it as much as I write it!

Kind regards

Max
I'll be winding people up on me death bed! :lol:

Max

Postby Max » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Update 10.12:

Although not large I managed to get 36 spuds out the bag I'd planted with three old red spuds, most of those I dug up were egg size but 6 were a good size, not eaten them yet, waiting for Xmas Day :)

Once again got a washing-up bowl full of fennel seeds which I'm drying. The rowan berries were taken much later than usual by the Blackbirds. The hawthorn berries were also taken by the Blackbirds and Starlings. I dug the Ribes up that had powdery mildew, the others were affected.

For the first time one of the Buddleia cuttings was a light blue colour, all the rest were the usual dark blue.

This week tried tidying a little of the front garden, noticed the Pyracantha and Viburnum full of berries :) The cherry in the back garden has some berries on but this year its been hard pruned along with the magnolia and lilac. Many years ago I read in a garden book that magnolia cuttings rarely take well this year when it was pruned I saved twenty cuttings and that was about two months ago, most are still alive so maybe i can prove the book wrong. The book suggested lowering a branch to the ground and putting an heavy object on it to root that way, I've never tried that.

A few months ago while tidying back garden noticed an two odd looking plants with tiny white flowers and black/green berries growing in a container which I'd grown some broad beans, after checking guide they were Black Nightshade and very poisonous! Decided to bin them just in case!

Well the pansies from SGC did me proud and some are still flowering, most I've cut back and by the looks of it I'll get another year out of them at least! The wallflowers will flower again also, I dont like throwing plants away when they may flower again.

I've recently acquired a bare root twin-flowered climbing rose only problem is I have very little room to put it so till spring it s in a large tub next to the house wall.

The Photinia is a delight with all the different colours of leaves.

A few months ago took two dozen snapdragon cuttings and most have taken.

In the next few months looking forward to the Polyanthus/Primula flowering.

That's got up to date.

My tea is ready am having a quiche for a change having a hot one :)

May you all have a Happy Xmas and a prosperous 2016.

Kind regards

Max

Max

Postby Max » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:07 am

Howdy,

Dec 20th: Noticed a single flower on the Welsh Poppy ( they normally flower in April) and the Bluebells just poking through the soil, that's the mild weather we've been having!

Regards

Max

Max

Postby Max » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Howdy,

Noticed yesterday the Welsh Poppy got two flowers on :shock: this mild weather certainly allowing flowers to bloom far earlier than normal!

Regards

Max

Max

Postby Max » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:59 pm

Howdy its been a long time since my last report and lots been going on.

Not put anything on since February which is amiss of me. I'll start present day and work my way back.

In the front garden tonight I tried cutting my side of the privet, a week ago my next door pal cut the path side, so only the top to do, when the birds have finished nesting I'll have about three feet taken off the top. This year was the first time the elder has flowered so should get some berries on for the birds. The holly had loads of flowers on so hoping for berries. The cherry was pruned back a bit it was getting a bit close to the house etc, it still needs a good prune later in year. The potentilla, spireah, hollyhocks, viola, buddleai, primula, polyanthus, honeysuckle, snapdragon and marigold are all in flower. This year bought plug plants from away and maybe its my fault but won't get them again, they needed potting on and I didn't, I bought marigold, begonia, mimulus (poor and replaced FOC with gazania) and verbena. I gave most away to friends but those I kept have flowered well, I'd never grown verbena or gazania, the latter is struggling but hopefully will be okay.

My favourite place for bargains is the reduced trolley at a local garden centre near me, best not say the name or you will all get the bargains before me LOL. I went a few weeks ago and got a dozen fushcia for less than half price, most people were walking past thinking they won't grow, that's what I want them to do, one of the plants now has two dozen buds waiting to open in a planter I have put them in, I'll take it inside before the first frosts arrive. Also got a friend some salvia, fushcia, snapdragons at reduced prices, I rarely pay full price, I want a bargain, well we all do I suppose.

A fushcia at the back door is full of flowers, I've had it a few years and I keep it outside each winter unless its an hard frost then I pop it in the outhouse, When visiting family this year they gave me two cuttings of an hydrangea and blow me they both have flowers on, and both are still in pots cos I have no space to put them anywhere, already have a six year old one in back garden I got for a quid.

In the back garden the weigelia was a picture as usual. Nearly all the buddleah are in flower but very few butterflies as yet. The rowan and hawthorn are full of fruit. Had the cherry pruned hard so won't get as many berries, will also get someone in with a chain saw to take it back further so I can see the bottom of garden, its a shame but it will grow back. Both the goat willow and hawthorn are masking the big buddleah so I can't hardly see the flowers, so they are down for a prune later in year. Got lots of juvenile birds all squabbling with their parents trying to get their share of food, does that sound familiar lol. The lilac was lovely especially the triple white. Waiting for the lilac coloured buddleah to flower, this did so last year for the first time, wow was I chuffed, I'd never had one before.

The burdock is doing well, and spotted the self heal growing in one small patch. The dog-violet is taking over aaaaaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhhhhh, it will be coming out if it doesn't behave lol. Another first is campanula which I sent for and wow what a lovely plant, got pink, blue and white flowers! Got two "new" buddleah flowering for first time very close to lounge window, where are those butterflies. The bluebells and an odd white one were glorious as usual. The lavender is well in flower after I lost two in the winter, but took cuttings so no loss. The hypericums are doing really well, looks lots of buds on, what a lovely plant they are.

The honesty put on a fantastic show and all are still there and will add colour over winter I don't use them for flower arranging. The ribes was a good show. as was the aquilegia and wallflowers, which I've left in and cut back ready to flower again next year. I cut some back in the front garden yesterday. The periwinkle looks well has also had an haircut. I don't know every plant in my garden, but I believe one in the front garden which must be 30 years old and only rarely flowers is shamrock, it flowered this year.

Well I think that will do for now, its supper time, and there is enough for my readers to go at :lol:

Kind regards

Max

Max

Postby Max » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:32 am

Happy New Year to all my readers and good luck in the garden, I think its going to be a good year again. Noticed in the front garden the Periwinkle, Primula, Snapdragon and Polyanthus are in flower. Last year grew Begonia (small & large flowers) hadn't grown it for many years, oddly they haven't been killed by the frost! Also grew Lilies last year for first time and these may have succumbed to the frost, they are in tubs and now in shelter next to house wall, fingers crossed they survive.

Loads of berries on the cherry and a few on the hawthorn in back garden, hoping the Waxwings make a first visit. Been told they were in Winterton last week so I'm not to far away as the crow flies.

Lightly pruned the Weigelia and Rowan this week, and filled both my compost bin and my neighbours with branches I'd cut off a few weeks ago only for the council not to collect it, it was down on the calender to be emptied. I rang and asked why they hadn't been for it and was told there is a back-log of general and other waste, so at short notice they decided not to empty any compost bins :shock: in a month we have now had three bins not emptied, it's not a problem with me but something needs to be done.

A couple of months ago pruned the buddleai and transplanted quite a few in both gardens, if half grow I'll be more than happy, as Monty said on telly other night only 60% of cuttings take.

That will do for now.

Kind regards

Max 8)